Guarding requirements for API 671 couplings are similar to all coupling guards as they must meet all applicable codes and regulations (such as OSHA 1910.219). However, additional requirements are included in the API 671 Standard. A few key features are:
- The ability to inspect the coupling without requiring any additional work beyond removing the guarding.
- Capability to withstand a 200 pound static load.
- A minimum of 1 inch radial clearance between the guard inner wall and coupling maximum outer diameter.
- Anti-swirl baffles installed as required to diminish the effects of windage.
- Guards that are directly installed on the machine base or bed plate should be removable as a single piece.
- No guarding should be constructed of woven wire, only expanded metal, perforated plate or plate is permitted.